I repeat this article yearly for the benefit of new as well as returning runners in our XC program. This truly is important stuff for you to consider having when we are on the road traveling.
A GUIDE TO THE DAILY RUNNER’S NEEDS
#1 need – before you can complete the rest of this list. A small back-pack or small athletic bag (for away practices and meets).
Now stuff the bag with some important items (you may also have your own selection of needs):
- Icy Hot and/or Ben Gay (for tight and sore muscle relief)
- A small towel or wash cloth (in the event of rain or mud – to wipe yourself off)
- An extra T-shirt and socks (in the event you are wet and want to change)
- A small amount of cash in case we stop somewhere after practice or a meet. Also, many meets have refreshments and may possibly be selling shirts. This is when we are on the road only. Don’t bring cash to a Secaucus home practice.
- Small roller and/or stretch cord for pre and post run
- Bottle of water and/or Gatorade
- A small snack like a banana or protein recovery-bar
- Extra pair of shoe laces (in case you snap yours prior to a practice or race)
- Sun screen – you really should not ignore this
- Deodorant (show some love to your teammates)
- Don’t forget (if you use these): knee brace, T-Bands, ankle brace, compression socks
- Your phone
- And of course….your ear buds – where would we be in life without these!!!!
Things not to bring under any circumstance:
Large amount of cash or a wallet filled with ATM and credit cards. ( If you wish to purchase something when we are on the road, please only bring a small amount of cash and only one debit card.
NO Expensive or sentimental jewelry. Please leave it at home.
*If necessary, give these items to the bus driver or a member of the coaching staff to hold for you.