Athletic Benefits of Fartlek Training
- Reduces overuse injuries by varying the periods of high intensity and low intensity exercise
- Offers an efficient way to incorporate high intensity and low intensity workouts into one routine
- Improves athletic performance by mimicking the intensity and flow of competition
- Helps prevent boredom
If you are given a fartlek training day, turn your Run Keeper app on and go at it!
Fartlek Run Level A (new runners only / or those instructed to do this)
Time of the run or repeats will always be given to you- (sample below)
- Start by warming up with 800 meter hard jog; then stretch
- Start your workout by hard jog or light run for 40 seconds
- Then you begin exertion run with an increase to maximum effort for at least 20 seconds (build it up)
- Follow up with a normal pace jog (walk only if necessary) approx 40 seconds
- Repeat the cycle 8 times (OR as instructed)
- Cool down and stretch lightly and then warm-down jog for five minutes (or 800), then stretch again.
Fartlek Run Level B ( for our varsity level runners)
Time or repeats of the run will be always be given to you- (sample below)
- Start by warming up with 800 meter hard jog; then stretch.
- Full-out / open race stride for 30 seconds, then jog for one minute
- Repeat cycle for 30 minutes
- Cool down and stretch lightly and then warm-down jog (or a mile), then stretch again.